The club founded in 1904 is one of a very small number of GAA clubs in Meath which has never gone out of existence in a hundred years. The meeting which brought the Longwood GAA into existence was held under the auspices of Longwood Gaelic League on the premises of Mrs. Ann Flynn and her son Michael Flynn, Drapers, Funeral Undertakers and General Merchants. The premises were situated in what to-day is the yard of J & M Dargan Ltd., just opposite to the graveyard
The first club chairman of Longwood GAA was the aforementioned Mr. Michael Flynn who was a member of an old, long established Longwood family from Freagh, a mile or two outside the village. The first secretary was Mr. Tom Conway, a teacher in the old National School. The first treasurer was Mr. Tom Murphy, a mighty hurler in his day. Mr. Murphy was the son of a farmer from Clonguiffin. and one of a family of seven brothers. who formed the backbone of some of the early Longwood teams in hurling and football. The new club chose the local curate Rev. James Bray to be its first president.
Longwood GAA first affiliated to Meath County Board as a football club in March 1905. However, the football affiliation was quickly withdrawn, to be replaced by a hurling club. The hurling men of Longwood officially lined out for the first time at Summerhill on Sunday 30th July 1905, to take on Warrenstown in the Meath Senior Hurling Championship of 1905.
Longwood brought home its one and only Meath Senior Hurling Championship in 1936. Longwood got to the 1936 senior final by containing Trim in a drawn match in May. Longwood won all their other matches. This left Longwood with the task of winning against Kilmessan. On the way to the final Longwood had beaten Dunboyne, Dunderry and Erins Isle.
In 1942 Longwood defeated Carlanstown in the final of the Intermediate Football Championship. The first match at Athboy in September between the clubs resulted in a draw. The Longwood boys won the replay in Navan a fortnight later on the remarkably low score of three points to one point.
The Club marked time during the bad times of the 50’s, the 60’s and the 70’s. Held together by dedicated men such as Pappy Conway, Aiden & Ver Foran, Mickie Mullally and Seanie Flynn. It was not until the late 80’s that the club secured its own grounds and in the mid 90’s these grounds were developed into playing pitches with changing rooms etc.
In latter years the club has established a very successful underage section and the fruits of the dedication of the underage coaches can be seen here today.
In Football the Club has progressed from a regular spot in the Junior B Championship to now operate as an established Intermediate side knocking on the door of senior ranks and in hurling as we can see here today they have progressed to a point where there are fighting to be crowned kingpins of Meath.
‘Go on the Wood’
Secretary: Niamh P. Burke – secretary.Longwood.email@example.com – 086 – 8042677