Castletown GAA Club, a short history
Castletown GAA is steeped in history, there are some records of football activity around Castletown from 1888 but officially the club was founded in 1896. Castletown won 5 Senior Championships in the early 1900s with titles in 1902, 04, 05, 06 and again in 1908. These titles were attained with Joe Curran as captain on all occasions; Joe was regarded as the virtual founder of the GAA in Meath as well as being the chairman for many years and was the main organiser to get Castletown up and running. He served on the Meath County Committee and Leinster and Central Councils of the GAA and played for his beloved county Meath and for Leinster. Castletown were the first team to win the Intermediate championship in Meath in 1927 and we won it twice more in 1946 and 76. In recent years championships have eluded us despite playing in three intermediate championship finals since 1976. As a little consolation we have won 6 adult league titles the latest one in 2011 where we defeated senior side Oldcastle in the final played in Carlanstown. Our underage titles are numerous with an Under 21 title in 1983 and three Under 14 titles. We also have won league titles at all grades in the county from Under 12 to Minor level. Over the years we have been involved in Independent Teams with local clubs. In 1948 we joined with Nobber to form St Patrick’s but that only lasted a year. After a lapse of another year we were resurrected again in 1950. We had a long association with Rathkenny at Under 18 level until we switched to join with Syddan from Under 15 to Under 18 to form Killary Emmets in 2008.
Our club grounds were purchased from the Land Commission in 1953 and officially opened in 1956. In 1984 we officially opened our pavilion which included 4 dressing rooms, function facilities and a covered seated stand. Up until lately we were the only club in county Meath outside of the county grounds in Navan to have a seated stand. This facility was possible due to a lot of hard work done by a finance committee set up from within and outside the club to which we owe a great debt of gratitude. In 2008 the pavilion was redeveloped to redesign the dressing rooms to increase their size and update the shower and toilet facilities. Also adding in a referee’s room and developing an upstairs area with a meeting room and also an area for indoor training and possibly a facility for a gym in the future.
The club today is in a very strong position with 58 adult members and 98 underage members actively involved. We field teams at Under 8 right up to Minot level and an Under 21 team and two Adult championship teams. We also have girls’ teams entered in the Meath underage leagues at Under 10 and Under 12 level. We have a fundamentals nursery which caters for children from ages 4-8 and teaches them the skills of Agility, Balance and Coordination.
As this is a brief history of Castletown GAA Club there are many great and respected people both past and present who are not mentioned in it. They all get recognition in the wonderful publication “100 years of Castletown GFC” compiled by Colm and Barbara Smyth which was published in conjunction with our 100th anniversary celebration in 1996. The history continues.