|Welcome to the Meath Handball section!
Three Crossakiel teams in Leinster handball doubles
Three Crossakiel handball pairings will be in Leinster handball action on Tuesday evening. Steven Quinn & Peter Flanagan travel to the Arklow to take on Wexford’s Darren O’ Toole & Malachy Whelan. O’Toole & Whelan already have secured an All-Ireland title in 2012 when winning the Junior B doubles All-Ireland title over Monaghan last March. Quinn & Flanagan have teamed up for the first time this year and made a successful start while O’ Toole & Whelan defeated Dublin’s Mick O’Donnell & Fergal Riain in the previous round. The Meath men will be tested to the full again and will have to meet the challenge head on from the slaneysiders. A great battle is in prospect with Flanagan & Quinn to edge it.
In Crinkle Crossakiel’s second pairing of Vincent Farrell & Cyril Fitzsimons have a meeting with Kilkenny’s Sean Quigley & ptr. Crinkle will suit the Crossakiel pairing who have yet to be tested in the championships.
Pat McCabe & Richard Farrell will have their second outing in Mullingar when they take on Laois’s Michael Donovan & ptr. Crossakiel know the quality of Donaovan as in last year Championships Mark Farrell fell to the Laois man in the Junior B singles by 9-21, 12-21. McCabe & Farrell outpointed Offaly’s Vincent Hickey & Brendan Gleeson in the previous round. The Crossakiel men will have to up their performance if they are to get over the threat posed by Donovan & ptr.
Leinster Handball 60 x 30 championships
Winning start for Crossakiel players in Leinster 60 x 30 championships
Crossakiel handball club players made a winning start in the Leinster handball 60 x 30 championships. Last evening in the Junior doubles Steven Quinn & Peter Flanagan defeated a fancied Kilkenny pairing in round 1 of the Junior doubles in Crinkle. In the Junior B doubles played in Mullingar the 2nd Crossakiel pairing of Pat McCabe & Richard Farrell had an impressive victory over Offaly’s Vincent Hickey & Brendan Gleenson. On Tuesday next Steven Quinn goes into action in the Junior singles against Offaly’s Brian Doherty and hoping to strike another win early in these championships.
Leinster Handball championships 60 x 30 fixtures
Is mise le meas,
Volunteering for the World Handball Championships 2012 in Dublin
The 2012 World Handball Championships are taking in Dublin from the 11th to the 21st of October of this year. The CityWest in Dublin will be transformed into a massive handball arena, with 22 specially built handball courts housing the best players in the world and all the thrill and skill of the great game. 2,000 players from 33 countries will enthrall over 3,000 spectators per day and the event will attract live TV and national and international TV highlights.
Guthán 1 / Tel 1: +353 (0) 1 836 3222
the first of 7 GAA Handball Shows to be shown on TG4 over the next 7 weeks was aired on Friday 17th and Saturday 18th December. You can now view the Show by clicking on the link below.
The new TV Handball Series begins on Monday 3rd January and will be more action packed with scenes from all the championship and tournament events recorded throughout 2010, starting with the All Ireland 40×20 Championship finals, with many behind the scenes profiles on clubs and schools from around the country and a few takes on ‘looking back’.
Is mise le meas,
Chris Curran / Críostóir Ó Corrain
please find attached the latest updates in relation to GAA Handball…
– the 2010 GAA Handball All Ireland 40×20 Club Championship semi-final programme, scheduled for this weekend Sat 4th/Sun 5th december 2010, has been postponed due to the adverse weather conditions. CLICK HERE for Club Championship line-up and further information
– GAA Handball are excited to announce the launch of a new TV show specifically for GAA Handball. ‘The GAA Handball Show’ will be screened in association with TG4, commencing on Monday 3rd January 2011 and run in total for 6 consecutive weeks on the same day and time. There will be an initial special GAA Handball Show on Friday 17th December at 8.30pm. This is part of a major media drive through 2011 in the build-up to the 2012 World Handball Championships, to have all our GAA Handball events recorded and profiled for TV and online with a new sister GAAHandball TV site to be launched in the new year also as part of the official national GAA Handball website. CLICK HERE for more information…
– GAA Handball players, officials, members and fans enjoyed a superb social occasion at Croke Park on Saturday 27th November as the annual GAA Handball All-Star Awards Banquet attracted over 400 guests to see awards being presented to a host of top class players and officials for the year. As well as the Provincial Awards being presented there were 14 National All-Star Awards and 4 Hall of Fame awards presented on the night with Connacht receiving 5 (Mayo – 2, Galway – 2, Roscommon), Leinster receiving 4 (Kilkenny – 2, Dublin, Meath), Munster receiving 5 (Kerry – 3, Cork, Limerick) and Ulster receiving 4 (Tyrone – 2, Monaghan, Antrim). There was also a special feature on the night on ‘Legends of the Game’ with a TV highlights package of the year also shown. CLICK HEREfor a review of the awards night.
– Following a meeting of GAA Handball Central Council on Saturday 27th November, there has been a few amendments to the format for the 2011 GAA Handball All Ireland Open 40×20 Championships. Players who wish to enter the All Ireland Open championship must now compete in their provincial series (although the 2 events will be separate competitions) and ranking points have been taken out of the Provincial Open Senior Championships, which will be organised on a weekend tournament basis. CLICK HERE for full details of the new system.
– GAA Handball Fans have the chance to win great new GAA Handball Merchandise Packs in an End of Year National Competition to find the ‘Spectators National Handball Match of the Year’ for 2010. There have been a number of matches suggested on the online poll on the national website – www.gaahandball.ie – for voting purposes and full details of the competition and prizes to be won can be found by clicking on this link – CLICK HERE for the chance to win a GAA handball merchandise pack (8 to be won) and more, with prizes also set to go to the players who competed in the outright winning ‘Match of the Year’.
– UUJ, Belfast, have captured the All Ireland ICHA 40×20 Team Championship crown for the 3rd successive year following their final win over NUIG at the weekend. CLICK HERE for review of the event.
– The GAA Havin a Ball Initiative and the GAA Inter-Provincial Handball Showdown will form the backbone of the latest development of handball to GAA Clubs throughout Ireland in December and January. The Havin a Ball initiative will now be launched on Wednesday 8th December with the GAA Inter-Provincial Showdown taking place on Saturday 29th January 2011 as the climax to the initiative. CLICK HERE for more information and keep an eye out on the National Official GAA Handball website for more information.
– The Irish Junior National Handball Team will travel to San Diego, California, on 21st December to contest the 2010 US Junior National Championships. It is expected that over 50 Irish junior handballers will make the trip to the US over the festive break but the official team was decided at the recently launched first ever stand-alone Irish Junior 40×20 Nationals event. This saw over 270 entries from all over the country and in the end the winners to decide the Official Irish Team were Caolan Daly (Tyrone), Killian Carroll (Cork), Darren Doherty (Monaghan), Lorraine Havern (Down), Catriona Casey (Cork) and Lauren O’Riordain (Roscommon) with the team to be managed by Joe McCann (Mayo) and Ashley Prendiville (Kerry).
Are you on Facebook – please CLICK HERE for the Official National GAA Handball Facebook Page and click LIKE to join up with this rapidly growing handball community.
Further news, information, photographs and video links will follow on the next GAA Handball E-zine which will be distributed very soon…
Is mise le meas,
GAA Handball are excited to announce a new exciting initiative as part of the GAA’s strategy for developing handball throughout Ireland. A new ‘GAA Havin a Ball Initiative’ will be launched in December 2010 and will run until 31st January 2011. The initiative is targeted at GAA clubs throughout Ireland who have not yet seen the immense benefits of introducing handball as a sport to their members. Full details of the benefits as part of this promotional scheme will be announced at the launch of the initiative in Croke Park in December 2010.
There will be terrific prizes on offer with 8 GAA Clubs (2 per province) around the country set to win a new One-Wall Handball facility in their club and the top 8 County Handball Committee’s which offer the best support structure during the initiative also set to win special development packages, including O’Neill’s Youth Handball kits.
As part of this initiative, GAA Handball have also moved the eagerly awaited GAA Inter-Provincial Showdown to a new date of Saturday 29th January 2011. This will thus be the climax of the initiative and will see many stars from the GAA World, including Peter Canavan (Tyrone), Graham Geraghty (Meath), Aidan Fogarty (Kilkenny), Donncha O’Connor (Cork), Mags dArcy (Wexford) and Maura Kelly (Tyrone), take to the handball courts alongside the stars of the handballing world.
Full details of both and the announcement of the new sponsor for this 2 month GAA Handball development initiative will be announced soon. Keep up to date with all this and other GAA Handball news on the Official National GAA Handball website – www.gaahandball.ie
Is mise le meas,
Chris Curran / Críostóir Ó Corrain